Sunday 6 December 2015

Micro-teaching exit slip - a reflection

Deeya, Ying Ting and I did a microteaching on the ambiguous case of the Sine Law.  Our presentation began with a brief summary of the Sine Law, followed by an inquiry-based lesson whereby students constructed triangles which show-cased the ambiguous cases of the Sine Law.
Overall, I think that we were weak when it came to time considerations.  Also, I thought that the presentation seemed quite disorganized because I do not think that we gave students enough information to be able to understand the inquiry-based part of our presentation - making triangles out of skewers.
Teaching inquiry-based lessons, I have learned, can be quite challenging, especially if time is short.  I felt that when we divided the class into three smaller groups, we lost the attention of a lot of the students, because they were no longer focused only on one presenter but on three.  If I were to teach this in a classroom, I would definitely spend more time showing the students what they are trying to discover, scaffolding their understanding so that they don't get confused later on.
We also lacked an appropriate hook.  Keeping students focused during the entire presentation requires that they be on-track right from the beginning.  Also, although this is not crucial, we lacked an appropriate conclusion because of time considerations.  We should have tried to include this regardless.









No comments:

Post a Comment